Are you ready for School?
Back-to-School To-Do List: Preschool and Kindergarten
In this article
Preparing for School
Sending your young child off to preschool or kindergarten can be an emotional time for both of you. WebMD offers this to-do list to help you get a head start:
Routines to Make Life Easier
- Practice walking to school or the bus stop.
- Plan some appealing healthy snacks and lunches with your child that he can help pack. Teach your child how to choose healthy foods at school.
- Set up a place in your home to put things that go to school (backpacks, papers, books, etc.). Take a few minutes before bed each night to put things there for the next morning.
- As part of your child’s bedtime routine, plan a bit for the next day. Set out breakfast foods and clothes with your child.
- Set a bed time and stick to it. Calming rituals -- bath, reading, and soft music -- will help. Your child will awaken fresh, with less fuss, if you set a regular schedule.
- One simple rule can reduce chaos and distractions in the morning: No TV before school.
Chats to Have With Your Child
Things to Buy for Your Child
2 weeks before school starts:
- Familiarise yourself with the school website.
- Purchase the school uniform from the appropriate stores.
- Label all items of clothing with cute labels that you can get here.
- Make a list of school supplies you’ll need to purchase as well as any other necessary school related items such as: a new bag; lunch boxes; water bottles etc.
- Form a plan of the shops you will need to visit for that week.
1 week before school starts:
- Organise after-school child care arrangements.
- Organise routines and enforce bedtime curfews as well as waking up times each day.
- Shop for groceries for next week’s school lunches, choose healthy food.
- Label the lunch boxes with your child’s name.
- Wash and iron school clothes.
- Discuss any procedures your child should expect.
The night before the first day of school:
- Lay out clothes ready for the morning.
- Have your phone ready for some cute first day morning pictures.
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Prepare lunches for the next day.
- Prepare backpack.